Shift supervisors manage a production team and meet production targets in every respect (quantity, quality, deadline, and compliance with safety standards). They also optimize the operation of the plant and available resources, and foster the career development of operators.
Skills and abilities needed
- Ability to lead teams by setting targets and monitoring performance.
- Ability to ensure the safety of people, equipment and environment, the prevention of risks, and compliance with health regulations.
- Ability to motivate production operators.
- Ability to show leadership when the situation requires.
- Ability to communicate and to explain changes (in products, plant, or organization) and the reasons for them to operators.
- Knowledge of unitary operations in chemical engineering.
Education and experience
High school diploma and two-year post-secondary diploma (e.g. in chemistry) with at least five years’ experience.