Automotive Solutions by Arkema
High performance materials are at the heart of the automotive industries historical transitions. We have built best-in-class specialty material expertise and combined know-how for the automotive industry and have been along for the ride during all the many and major transitions. And we are ready to provide high performance solutions for next generation vehicles.
What we offer:
- A combination of material expertise and problem solving capacity in the most challenging automotive applications
- Project assistance from our top level expert teams from our global network of technical centers
- An industry leading portfolio of specialty solutions for highly demanding applications in the automotive industry
Aerospace & other transportation modes
As a long-standing partner to the aerospace sector, Arkema develops high-performance products specifically designed for airplanes, helicopters, etc.
To meet the needs and standards of aircraft manufacturers for cutting down on fuel consumption and building sturdier, lighter, more comfortable and more secure aircraft, Arkema provides the right solutions with its extensive product range comprised of:
Focus on... innovative glues on board
Partner of the aerospace industry for over 60 years, Bostik develops a large number of high-tech bonding solutions specifically for aerospace, which are invisible to passengers but vital for their safety and comfort. They include, for example, the bonding of interior panels and laminates helping make trims and fittings lighter, and flame-retardant protective glues that slow the spread of flames in the event of a fire.
Other transportation modes
- Specialty polyamides: Rilsan® polyamides are used to manufacture technical parts for trucks, and offer a high level of thermal, mechanical and chemical resistance. They are used for transmissions, opening mechanisms and noise dampening, fuel lines and fluid flows (braking, clutch system, cooling).
- Platamid® copolyamide hot-melt adhesives are used for durable adhesion of vehicle interior laminates and textiles.
- Forane® refrigerants are used for the operation of vehicle air conditioning systems.
- Luperox® organic peroxides are used for the production of raw materials found in parts such as hoses, belts, gaskets, o-rings and vehicle body panels.
- PMMA, which is lighter than glass, is extensively used for vehicle tail lights.
- MLPC International's vulcanizing agents, as powders (Ekaland® & Vultac®) or polymer-bound masterbatches (Mixland+®), are used for the largest part in the rubber industry.
Extreme Pressure Sulfur additives TPS® commonly used in lubricant formulations dedicated to Gear boxes, Transmission and other automotive lubricants.
Library of webinars
Watch our webinars on material solutions for automotive and transportation industry,
Going the distance
Electric and hybrid vehicles owe some of their autonomy to Kynar® polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF). It is used in their batteries to bind the active particles to the electrodes that produce the current. This polymer improves the battery’s performance and increases its service life.
Automotive air conditioning goes 4G
The air conditioning of the future is here now! Arkema has developed a process to produce a new, so-called fourth-generation, car air conditioning refrigerant fluid, 1234yf. Highly energy-efficient, it emits 10 times less greenhouse gas than the fluids found in today’s vehicles.
Rilsan® HT is a technical plastic that replaces metal and rubber in many automotive engine parts. Six times lighter than steel, it therefore helps boost fuel efficiency. This “green” plastic contains up to 70% renewably sourced carbon.
A purer fuel, service Included
Arkema also provides technical assistance. Our Carelflex® teams around the world help oil companies cut down the sulfur content in their fuels. Arkema’s technicians step in directly in refineries to remove the sulfur from the fuels.
Windshields switch to "acrylic glass"
Altuglas® ShieldUp now enjoys a solid fan base among manufacturers of roofs and windshields for cars and motorcycles. Flawlessly transparent, superbly tough, half as heavy as glass, this material helps make vehicles lighter and therefore more fuel-efficient.