A key presence in pharmaceutical sector, medical and respiratory devices
Solutions for pharmaceutical industry
From vitamin C to the most sophisticated anti-inflammatory, antibiotic or cardio-vascular drugs, the molecules and products developed by Arkema are used in the synthesis of a vast number of medicines.
The pharmaceutical industry calls upon Arkema for three major types of products.
- Approved and certified active ingredients used for synthesis of pharmaceutical active principles and building blocks for chemical synthesis, such as specialty amines, hydrazine and derivatives, thioacetic acid.
- High purity solvents: MSA (methane sulfonic acid), oxygenated solvents and derivatives.
- Dehydrating agents, such as Siliporite® molecular sieves
Products for medical and paramedical equipment, devices and accessories.
These high performance materials replace traditional materials such as glass or metal, while meeting requirements of sturdiness, safety and harmlessness (bio-inertia), resistance to sterilization and microbial attack, and good light transmission. These materials include mainly:
- Pebax® MED copolymers, used to manufacture catheters,
- Rilsan® Clear MED biosourced polyamides, for breathing masks, Rilsamid® MED and Rilsan® MED product families for bags.
- Altuglas® PMMA is used in the manufacture of incubators and disposable medical devices.
- Surgical gloves are made from Lotryl® flexible materials.
- Bio-inert, sterilizable and very chemically resistant, Kynar® PVDF is used to manufacture disposable equipment, autoclaves, membranes, etc.
These various products all fulfill the stability, purity and safety constraints of the pharmaceutical industry.
Molecular sieve for respiratory devices
With the effects of smoking and pollution, the number of people suffering from respiratory failure is on the increasing. They are required to carry a source of oxygen-enriched air at all time. More compact, either fixed or portable, oxygen concentrator respiratory devices use Nitroxy® molecular sieves.
Thanks to their unique properties, molecular sieves adsorb the nitrogen while letting the oxygen through in the ambient air. Hence the patient is able to breathe in high purity (over 90%) oxygen-enriched air.
Cleaning and disinfection
Hydrogen peroxide is an effective disinfectant with a wide spectrum of antimicrobial activity. It is also a strong bleaching agent.
Peroxal® grades may therefore be used in the disinfection of hard surfaces or hand rub formulations as well as stain remover, tooth-bleaching or hair-dye products.
Sensio™, a castor oil sourced surfactant range, affords an outstanding cleaning power exceeding requirements of standard cleaning products (hard surface cleaning, laundry, dishwash, car wash and I&I products).
For hygiene & cosmetics
Additives & ingredients for personal care products
Soft to the skin and scented, shampoos, detergents and soaps do more than just clean. They are also pleasant to use. Their secret: active ingredients and sophisticated formulations, the result of Arkema’s research and development work.
- Formulation additives, such as Noramium® or Surfaline® used in conditioners, make hair soft and easier to manage.
- Coatex’s Rheostyl™ additives bring interesting properties for health, hygiene and beauty products manufacturers who want to make their products more appealing: crystal clear appearance, the possibility of suspended particles and a softer texture.
- Finally, teenagers can have a healthy-looking, blemish-free skin with acne creams containing Luperox® specialty additives.
- Peroxal® hydrogen peroxide is a safe ingredient renowned for its disinfecting, tooth-whitening and hair-bleaching properties.
Safe and efficient protection
In an era of disposable items, baby diapers, feminine hygiene and adult protection articles have to be increasingly discreet, soft and thin, but also more absorbent and reliable. A range of Arkema specialty products fulfill these expectations.
Two to three grams of adhesive made by Bostik (an Arkema subsidiary) are enough to assemble the twenty or so components making up a disposable baby diaper.
Under ten grams of absorbent or superabsorbent gel, which is part of Arkema’s acrylics range, are enough to effectively absorb as much as 100 times their volume, at least.
Solutions for cosmetology
The texture of beauty products is a major criterion in consumer choice and a vital key to the progress of cosmetology.
- Ultrafine and ultrasoft, Orgasol® fine powders for cosmetics are used for their unrivalled mattifying, sebum absorption, covering, soft focus and after feel properties. Leading cosmetics brands use them extensively in their make-up ranges (skin care, color cosmetics and sun care products).
- Arkema’s expertise also extends to natural aromas and fragrances for cosmetics with its 100% plant-based Oleris® range, and to extraction solvents from its thiochemicals business.
- For over 30 years, hair-removal creams and perm lotions have been formulated with thioglycolic acid.