Extra-financial rating of Arkema, result of our CSR approach
Arkema’s performance and progress in the field of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Sustainable Development are recognized by several extra-financial rating agencies and rewarded several occasions. These awards highlight the progress and the results achieved in this field, based on the implication of the teams on these major issues for the Group.
CDP, an international non-profit organization which analyzes the integration of the environmental dimension in the strategies of over 5,600 companies around the world, has assessed Arkema in the following two major areas:
- Climate change: in 2017, Arkema received an “A –“ rating, against “B” in 2016 and “B –“ in 2015. This excellent result shows a “level of leadership” and commitment to the climate, meaning that Arkema has put in place a range of actions to manage climate change, both in its own operations and beyond.
- Water management: Arkema received a “B” rating in 2017, the first time it took part in the questionnaire. This good result shows a “level of management” in water management, meaning that Arkema measures its impacts, has undertaken to minimize them, and has implemented a policy and a strategic framework to take action on this issue.
Arkema also obtained in November 2015 the CDP Improvement Award – France, rewarding its significant progress in transparency and performance.
For RobecoSAM, a sustainability investing organization, Arkema has made substantial progress in the various facets of CSR.
The significant improvement in the results of this rating holds out the possibility that Arkema could eventually be listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) which compiles the CSR top performing companies based on their RobecoSAM ratings.
Created by the global index company FTSE, FTSE4Good is an equity index series that is designed to facilitate investment in companies that meet globally recognised corporate responsibility standards.
Hence, the FTSE4Good rating helps the approaches of :
- Identification of socially responsible companies
- Assessment of a company's extra-financial performance
- Benchmarking of a responsible investment portfolio performance
Arkema was first listed on this index in 2015 and its membership of FTSE4Good was renewed in 2017.
EcoVadis assess the companies in terms of extra-financial performance at the request of their clients.
Four issues are taken into account:
- Business ethics
- Supply chain
Arkema had received a ”Gold rating” in 2015, the highest level of recognition, which it retained in 2017. The Group ranks among the 3% top performing companies in terms of CSR.
Arkema is listed to the Euronext Vigeo-Eiris Eurozone 120 and Euronext Vigeo-Eiris Europe 120 index which gather the top 120 publicly traded companies in terms of corporate responsibility in the Euro area and in Europe, according to the rating agency's criteria.
Since 2015, and confirmed in the last review in 2017, Arkema is ranking among the top 10 European chemical companies with the highest CSR performance.
Vigeo-Eiris uses environment, human rights, human resources, community involvement, business behavior and governance criteria to establish the CSR performance rating of the assessed companies.