Oleris® n-Heptanoic acid is a bio-based, seven-carbon linear chain saturated fatty acid from a renewable castor oil source. Suitable for use in innovative sustainable design.
Arkema to showcase its innovations at in-cosmetics show
Arkema obtains certification for its advanced bio-based materials
In-cosmetics 2022: Arkema to showcase its solutions and innovations for sustainable beauty
Chemical name : n-Heptanoic acid
Common name : n-Heptylic acid, Oenanthic acid, Heptanoic acid
Features and Certifications
- 100% linear chain saturated odd-numbered fatty acid
- High purity in fully n-heptanoic acid ≥ 99%
- Carbon neutral (ISO 14040)
- 100% castor oil origin
- 100% degree of Natural Origin (ISO16128:2016-Annex C)
- KOSHER and HALAL certified
- GMO and BSE-TSE free
- Conforms to the COSMOS Standard, Raw Material verified by ECOCERT GREENLIFE for use in formulations for cosmetics
- For chemical intermediate use only
Arkema is a Founding Member of Pragati:
The World's First Sustainable Castor Program
The goal of the Pragati project is to enable sustainable castor crop production.
Used as a 100% bio-based, sustainable, carbon-neutral building block where the following properties might be needed:
- Oxidation stability
- Low viscosity
- High purity
- High chemical reactivity
- 100% Linearity
Common applications include:
The highly linear, seven-carbon chain in Oleris® n-heptanoic acid is used as a chemical intermediate in the synthesis of high performance polyol esters (POE), showing
- Very low kinematic viscosity and pour point values
- Low volatility at high temperature
- Excellent oxidation and thermal stability
And for increasing their renewability and biodegradability profile.
These polyol esters find applications in aviation market, in dielectric fluids for transformers and in refrigerant oils.
Flavors and Fragrances Applications
Oleris® n-heptanoic acid is used as a chemical intermediate in the synthesis of esters used in fragrances and flavors, for its natural origin, its 100% linearity and its high purity.
Suitable for preparation of versatile aromatic substances with fruity, green, herbal or floral notes, like:
- In flavors: Ethyl heptanoate or allyl heptanoate provides fruity or pineapple notes
- In fragrances: Nonyl heptanoate is particulary appreciated for its orange floral rose notes
INCI name : heptanoic acid
Oleris® n-heptanoic acid is used as a chemical intermediate in the synthesis of sustainable vegetable-based & natural cosmetics, that can be 100% derived from Castor oil.
Used for the prepartation of low viscosity, high spreadability, high polarity esters for:
- Emollients, skin-conditioning agents
- Viscosity controlling agents
such as Triheptanoin, Stearyl heptanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, etc.
Oleris® n-Heptanoic acid is a very effective corrosion inhibitor to protect copper, iron, aluminum and zinc when used as a salt derivative (sodium heptanoate).
Heptanoic acid shows good stability in hard water which prevents the precipitation of calcium.
Salts of heptanoic acid are used widely in:
- Metalworking fluids
- Water-based hydraulic fluids for anti-freeze application
- Industrial water-based refrigerants
- Temporary protection
- Anticorrosion additive for paints
- Cutting oils
Agrochemicals and Pharmaceuticals
Oleris® n-heptanoic acid is used as a chemical intermediate in the synthesis of active substances for its 100% linearity and high chemical reactivity, such as heptanoyl chloride.
Oleris® Esterol A is a bio-based mixture of C18 (> 75%) fatty acid methyl esters processed from a renewable castor oil ...
Oleris® Esterol F is a bio-based mixture of C18 (> 73%) fatty acid methyl esters from a renewable castor oil source (FAME, ...
Oleris® Methyl Undecylenate is a bio-based, bifunctional fatty ester with a terminal double bond from a renewable ...
Oleris® Undecylenic acid is a bio-based, bifunctional fatty acid with a terminal double bond ...
Oleris® n-Heptaldehyde is a bio-based, saturated, 100% linear aldehyde from a renewable castor ...
Oleris® n-Heptanol is a bio-based, linear seven-carbon fatty alcohol from a renewable castor ...