Elium® resins are low viscosity materials used in RTM Processes to produce structural and aesthetic composite parts, with cycle ...
Elium® resins can be moulded by infusion at room temperature to make large and stiff structural parts, with excellent toughness. ...
Elium® resins can be used in wet compression molding or cold press molding, at a temperature ranging from 20°C to 80°C to ...
Arkema supports the wind power industry in its transition towards sustainable energy
Partner of the ZEBRA (Zero wastE Blade ReseArch) project driven by IRT-Jules Verne, which brings ...Read more
CHINA COMPOSITES EXPO
From 25 to 27th December, 2021
Let's join to discover our protfolio of solutions for Composites applications
From September 29 to October 1, 2021
Lyon - France
Meet our experts and learn more on our protfolio of solutions for inside and oustide the battery ...
INNOVATIVE WITH, our magazine with the ideas of the future
Catch up on the full potential of the Elium® resin in the second issue of our INNOVATIVE WITH magazine. Thermoplastic, liquid, easy to process and designed to make composites fully recyclable, Elium® resin ticks all the boxes. A unique resin in the world for thermoplastic composites, whereas traditional thermoset-based composites, widely used in many applications for their light weight and sturdiness, have the disadvantage of not being recyclable at their end-of-life. This innovation is going to revolutionize the wind power, boat-building, hydrogen tank, and concrete reinforcement sectors. But then, for the best testimonies, read our partners’ and customers’ opinions in this latest edition!
Elium® resins properties
Characteristics of our Elium® resin:
- 30 to 50% lighter than the same parts made from steel with the same resistance
- Perfect for complex design forms
- Seamlessly blends with glass or carbon fibers
- Compatible with conventionial thermosetting resin transformation technologies (Resin Transfer Moulding, Infusion, Flex-molding)
- Exceptional post-thermoforming (welding and gluing)
- Styrene free compared to unsatured polyesters
- Parts easily thermoformed and recycled with comparable mechanical performance for epoxy parts
- Cost less to manufacture compared to other thermoplastic technologies
- Conventional thermoset resin processes
- Transformation at room temperature
- No organo-sheets.
Recycling composite parts made of Elium® resin is possible!
In 2017 our R&D teams were heavily involved in developing the recycling process for composite parts made from the Elium® resin via depolymerization. The principle entails coarsely crushing the parts; the Elium® resin is then heat-depolymerized so that it can be recovered and purified into a resin with the same properties as the virgin resin. Meanwhile, the remaining carbon or glass fibers can be reused.
Being able to recycle parts made from Elium® resin is a tremendous asset, in particular for wind turbine manufacturers who currently use non-recyclable epoxy resins to manufacture the blades.
A new 25 m blade manufactured from Elium® resin
Arkema has been working successfully with the Effiwind consortium to manufacture a new 25 m wind turbine blade. The infusion process used has helped validate the feasibility of producing on an industrial scale a very large blade from a thermoplastic composite.
Developing expertise in a new manufacturing process for Elium® parts: pultrusion
In addition to the Fast RTM and Infusion processes, the Elium® resin is also suited to pultrusion. In partnership with the IRT M2P Technological Research Institute in Metz, Arkema has developed optimized grades for this specific process. Expertise in this manufacturing process opens up highly promising prospects in construction, with two target applications in particular:
Currently, window profiles are made of:
- Aluminum (rigid and visually attractive but a poor insulator)
- PVC (a good insulator but not rigid enough, which requires wide and unattractive profiles)
- Polyester (lightweight and a good insulator, but unattractive as the reinforcing fiber can be seen on the surface).
A profile made of Elium® by pultrusion combines the rigidity of aluminum, the insulating properties of PVC, and a smooth and glossy finish.
Glassfiber-reinforced Elium® resin rods can replace:
- Metal rods, with the advantage of being corrosion-proof
- Thermoset composite rods, with the advantage of being able to be thermoformed into shape on site to consolidate complex structures such as stairs.
Arkema acknowledges the support of public funding from EIT Rawmaterials, ADEME (Fr) and the French Investissements d'Avenir Programme in the development of its Elium® range of resins.
This activity has received funding from the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT), a body of the European Union, under the Horizon 2020, the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation.