For sealants, PU based on polyester is
- tough and
- It is used for window sealants, joints, electrical and electronic components, etc
For elastomers, PU based on polyester has
- chemical and oil resistance properties
- It is used for rollers, belts for carrying operations, wheels for Rollerblades, hospital trolleys, rollers for printing processes, under-the-hood automotive
MEG, BDO, and MEG/BDO based polyester polyols are commonly used.
Polyesters polyols are favored when chemical resistance is required, acrylic polyols when long term weatherability is needed and polyether polyols in application requiring resistance to water.
They are more resistant to oxidation and thus preferred for applications where there is significant exposure to ultraviolet radiation (PCM).
Most flexibility properties: one growing market is the coating urethane coatings for plastics are based on polyester polyols which display good flexibility properties: automotive interior parts
The aircraft coating also uses polyester polyols with high OH value and aliphatic isocyanates
Characteristics of our Realkyd® polyester polyols range :
- Modern coatings contain polyurethane for durability and glossy aspect purposes
- Polyester used in water dispersion for coating
- Polyester used in 2K system for wood, metal application (primer and top coat)
For hot melt and adhesives:
In adhesives, there has been a technology change from solvent-based systems to solvent-free technologies such as polyurethane dispersions (PUD) and polyurethane hotmelt adhesives
PU adhesives will gain further market share from solvent-containing systems from under-the-hood temperature requirements in automotive applications
1,6 HDO based polyester polyols are commonly used in this application
Common name : Polyester polyols
Trademark : Realkyd®