Products and markets
Many consumer products that we use every day, ranging from automobiles and food packaging to health and cleaning products, owe their beginnings to organic peroxides. Here are some examples:
- Solid surface countertops
- Acrylic-based paints and coatings for automotive, industrial, and architectural applications
- Key components in the enhancement of hoses, gaskets, and headlight assemblies for the automotive industry
- Expandable polystyrene cups and plates
- PVC for pipes, packaging, and siding
Key figures for 2021
|Number of employees||8|
|Local economic impact||$2.5 million|
Investment in health, environment, and safety
$0.29 million in approved capital investments
The main focus for 2021 capital is in the safe storage of organic peroxides.
The site participates in Responsible Care®, an industry-wide initiative among members of the American Chemistry Council, to demonstrate continuing commitment to health, safety and the environment.
The site has an active Behavior Based Safety Observation Program which uses peer review to identify, and proactively addresses, any unsafe behaviors that could potentially lead to an accident.
The site has a program that enables customers to return empty organic peroxide containers for recycling, reducing landfill use and associated fees.
Over 2 years without injury (1 lost-time injury in the last 8 years)
- Crosby Volunteer Fire Department - We host annual drills in coordination with the local fire department and emergency medical team to coordinate likely interaction in the event of an emergency. We have also donated land to Harris County to be used as a fire station and an Emergency Medical Dispatch Station.
- CAER Line - Neighbors of the plant are encouraged to call the CAER line for information about emergency response incidents in the facilities or off-site incidents that may impact the community. East Harris County Manufacturers Association (ECHMA) established the Community Awareness and Emergency Response line (CAER Line) in 1986 as a free public service. The CAER Line is a source of up-to-the-minute information about any emergency at a local facility, including response actions that are underway and any actions members of the public should take, such as evacuation or shelter-in-place.
- Arkema uses EMerge Systems, a web-based multi-media communication tool used to communicate plant emergencies to local authorities. Activation occurs via a 24-hour manned website. Harris County Homeland Security and Emergency Management coordinate community notifications in the event of a plant emergency that may affect our neighbors. EMerge Systems is endorsed by the North Channel Local Emergency Planning Committee (NC LEPC).
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program, is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Last updated: July 2022