Products and markets
Key building blocks include vinyl acetate, styrene and acrylic monomers, such as butyl acrylate and methyl methacrylate. We use them to produce water-based specialty polymers, which are critically important raw materials for leading manufacturers of architectural paints, industrial coatings, road markings, construction adhesives, sealants/caulks, and pressure-sensitive adhesives for labels and tapes.
Visit the Coating Resins website for more information.
Key figures for 2021
|Number of employees||49|
|Local economic impact (payroll/utility/property taxes paid annually)||$6.8 million|
|Investment in health, environment, and safety||
9 years without a lost-time injury
Our commitment to safety and the environment
- A daily safety review during every shift
- Improvement Idea Tool that allows for safety suggestions as well as other improvement ideas
- Review of every safety suggestion during monthly team meetings
- Hazardous waste operations emergency response (HAZWOPER) and confined space rescue trained employees
- Personnel trained in First Aid, CPR, AED (Automated External Defibrillation)
- Member of CHEMTREC® (Chemical Transportation Emergency Center)
- Employee led teams that enhance safety include: Behavioral Based Safety (BBS) training, process safety, winterization, recognition team and 5S
- Chemical Industry Council of Illinois (CICI) - The Alsip plant is an active member of this industry council, which serves as a voice for our industry on issues that impact us. CICI also has an education foundation that encourages high school and junior high school students to explore careers in chemistry. Alsip plant is a sponsor of the CICI annual Illinois Chemical Education Foundation (ICEF) Scholarship Luncheon.
- Community support - The plant supports the local community through donations and participation in community programs such as food drives and the National Night Out event for drug and crime prevention.
- Emergency response drill - With participation from local authorities and emergency responders.
The Arkema Group, through its Common Ground® program, is committed to building relationships between our Company and its communities. Community relations enable the Group to open up its sites to the outside world and establish genuine relations of trust with all its stakeholders.
Chemtrec is a registered trademark of the American Chemistry Council, Inc.,
Last updated: June 2022