The Arkema Lacq/Mourenx hub specializes in thiochemicals: the chemical transformation of products containing sulfur is its core business. Gas odorization and petrochemicals are among its many markets.
Nestled in the Cœur de Béarn canton between Bayonne and Pau, the Lacq/Mourenx facility contributes to the dynamism of the third main economic center in the Greater Southwest region by generating many direct and indirect employment opportunities.
Founded in 1959, it consists of two neighboring production units, located in Lacq and Mourenx. Lacq/Mourenx plant employees are spread over two sites: Lacq and Mourenx.
Lacq/Mourenx plant activity
The 14 main production workshops (10 in Lacq and 4 in Mourenx) produce 218,000 metric tons of products per year, of which 64,000 metric tons are intended for the Arkema Mont site, specialized in the production of monomers, polymers and polyamide powders.
The products produced at the Lacq/Mourenx Arkema site have many applications. Sulfur is used in pharmaceutical products, agrochemicals, the mining industry, cosmetics (it is used in many hair and hair removal products), textiles, etc.
The Lacq/Mourenx plant also manufactures intermediate organic chemistry products that serve as stabilizers for PVC, cosmetics, herbicides, photography and pharmacy.
In order to constantly improve working conditions and ensure the safety of its employees and residents, the plant has an integrated management reference system (Arkema Integrated Management System). Classified as a Seveso high threshold, the Arkema factory in Lacq/Mourenx complies with the European directive concerning risk management related to major accidents.
As part of Common Ground®, the Lacq/Mourenx facility conducts communications operations with elected officials, residents and school groups.
In the program:
- Foot races
- Sponsorship of sports associations (pétanque and handball)
- Participation in Employment of Persons with Disabilities Week (la Semaine pour l’Emploi des Personnes Handicapées)
- Collection for the MESA Food Bank
- Participation in the CGénial Foundation Professors in Business operation
- Participation in meetings with local residents
- Participation in the General Meetings of the Lacq and Mourenx ASL free trade unions (Associations Syndicales Libres)
- Vows ceremony and presentation of long-service awards
- Staff/Management meetings
- Lunch meetings with newcomers
- Neuroscience conferences
- Celebration of the Facility Store’s 10-year anniversary
- Participation in the Fête de la Chimie chemistry festival
Lacq/Mourenx Unit in Key Figures (2021)
Number of employees
Significant investments in Hygiene, Health, Security and Environment managment : €3 million a year.
ISO 9001: Quality management
OHSAS 18001: Occupational Health and Safety management