- Group sales of €2.9 billion, up by 30% year-on-year at constant scope and currency:
- Volumes down slightly from last year’s high level, impacted mainly by logistics disruptions and raw materials shortages
- Continued product mix improvement, reflecting the acceleration in demand for high performance solutions
- Adjustment to selling prices offsetting very significant raw materials, energy and transportation cost inflation
- Specialty Materials representing 90% of Group sales (82% in Q1’21)
- EBITDA of €619 million, up by 72.9% compared with Q1’21, and EBITDA margin up sharply to 21.4%:
- EBITDA of Specialty Materials up by 82% at €556 million (€306 million in Q1’21), benefiting from solid volumes, the selling price policy against a highly inflationary context, and the development of high value-added applications linked to sustainable megatrends (batteries, 3D, lightweighting, bio-based materials, more eco-friendly paints, etc.)
- Intermediates’ EBITDA up by 25%, supported by the improvement of Fluorogases and better conditions in upstream acrylics in Asia
- Adjusted net income multiplied by 2.4 to €376 million, representing €4.96 per share (€2.08 in Q1’21)
- Recurring cash flow of €26 million (€53 million in Q1’21), including the seasonal increase in working capital, as well as higher selling and raw materials prices
- Net debt tightly controlled at €2,703 million – of which €700 million in hybrid bonds – including the acquisition of Ashland’s performance adhesives finalized on 28 February 2022, and representing 1.4x last-twelve-months EBITDA
Given this excellent start to the year, while remaining attentive to the evolution of the macroeconomic environment, Arkema now aims to achieve in 2022 at constant scope, Specialty Materials EBITDA and Group EBITDA slightly above the record level of 2021
Following Arkema’s Board of Directors’ meeting, held on 4 May 2022 to review the Group’s consolidated financial information for the first quarter of 2022, Chairman and CEO Thierry Le Hénaff said:
“Our very good performance in the first quarter reflects the strength of our innovation for sustainable development and Arkema’s very solid positioning to address accelerating demand for cutting-edge solutions in high value-added markets. In an operating context that continues to be particularly demanding, our balanced geographic footprint, our technologies, our customer intimacy and the commitment of Arkema’s teams are all valuable assets. Despite the uncertainties currently weighing on global growth, this first quarter’s very good results make us confident in our ability to surpass in 2022 last year’s record results and particularly motivate the teams to continue implementing our strategy focused on Specialty Materials.
We are also pleased to have welcomed on 1 March Ashland’s adhesives’ teams, and this top-tier activity is already confirming all its potential. Lastly, we are delighted to start up very soon, on time and on budget, our two new plants in Singapore and the United States, which are fully in line with the decarbonization theme.”
Outlook for 2022
Market conditions remain positively oriented at the beginning of the second quarter, but with disparities between regions and end markets and an increased lack of visibility regarding the environment. The health situation in China, the war in Ukraine, high raw materials and energy cost inflation, and logistics disruptions are all factors that could weigh on global demand going forward.
In this demanding context, the Group will endeavor to optimize supply chain management and continue to dynamically adjust its selling prices. Moreover, Arkema will pursue its cutting-edge innovation to develop, in partnership with its customers, its Specialty Materials and high performance solutions for sustainable development.
While remaining attentive to the evolution of the macroeconomic environment, the Group aims to reach in second-quarter 2022 a strong increase in its EBITDA compared with the prior year, driven in particular by high organic growth in Advanced Materials and Coating Solutions. The Adhesive Solutions segment, still impacted by certain raw materials shortages, will benefit from the integration of Ashland’s adhesives business.
Moreover, Arkema now aims to achieve in 2022, at constant scope, Specialty Materials EBITDA and Group EBITDA slightly above the record level of 2021.
In line with its strategy to become a pure Specialty Materials player in 2024, Arkema will continue in 2022 its bolt-on acquisition policy, as well as its review of the Intermediates segment. Beyond the start-up, expected in the coming months, of the two major industrial projects, namely the bio-based polyamides plant in Singapore and the hydrofluoric acid plant in the United States, Arkema will continue to selectively increase its industrial capacities to support its growth.
Lastly, the Group is reaffirming its confidence in its ability to achieve the ambitious targets it has set for 2024. It will continue to implement its strategic roadmap, notably by stepping up its innovation efforts for sustainable development. Arkema thus aims to generate €1.5 billion of new revenues from 2019 to 2030 around its five large innovation platforms, namely lightweight materials and design, electronics solutions, new energies, living comfort and home efficiency and natural resources management.
Further details concerning the Group’s first-quarter 2022 results are provided in the “First-quarter 2022 results and outlook” presentation and the “Factsheet”, both available on Arkema’s website at: www.arkema.com/global/en/investor-relations/
19 May 2022: Annual general meeting
29 July 2022: Publication of second-quarter 2022 results
10 November 2022: Publication of third-quarter 2022 results
Investor relations contacts
Investor relations+33 (0)1 49 00 86 37
Investor relations+33 (0)1 49 00 73 12
Investor relations+33 (0)1 49 00 72 07
Investor relations+33 (0)1 49 00 74 37
Corporate media contacts
VP Communication+33 (0)1 49 00 70 07
Corporate Press relations manager+33 (0)6 81 87 48 77
Local media contacts
Media Relations Manager - USA+1 215 420 0943