Oil & Gas
Extraction, transportation of oil and gas, refining and petrochemicals: Arkema’s products are present throughout the entire chain. Its additives improve production yields, its technical polymers protect pipelines, and its expertise in thiochemicals enhances desulfurization processes and gas odorization.
Exploring for oil and gas ever further afield and deeper in the ground, processing crude oil into products that comply with increasingly stringent environmental standards: the oil and gas industry is faced with a number of challenges.
As a true partner, Arkema designs innovative products and materials for the different stages of the chain while also providing ad hoc services.
Related products and business unit:
- DMDS (Dimethyl Disulfide): HDT, VRDS metal catalyst activator, petrochemical steam cracker, PDH anti-coking agent. (Business Unit: Thiochemicals)
- Carelflex®: This reagent activates the metal catalysts used in the desulfurization units of the refineries. (Business Unit: Thiochemicals)
- Spotleak®, Vigileak®: Products for odorization must therefore be added to the gases to make them detectable in the event of leaks. (Business Unit: Thiochemicals)
- Siliporite®: These products are also essential for drying and purifying of petroleum and gas cuts. (Business Unit: Surfactants and additives)
Protecting the pipelines
The flexible pipelines (pipes, connections and valves) used for the transportation of oil and gas are under enormous strain. With Kynar® polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF), Rilsan® and Rilsan® Fine Powders biosourced polyamides, Arkema provides a wide range of solutions to protect them against corrosion, chemical attack, high temperatures (up to 130°C) and aging. These ultra high performance polymers are also routinely used for coating pipes and flexible tubes in oil and gas installations. In these conditions, they are subjected to extreme fluid pressure constraints.
Deep-water oil drilling equally demands materials that are highly resistant to temperature, abrasion, corrosive products and high pressure. Arkema meets these needs with its Kepstan® PEKK polymer. PEKK pipes are reinforced with carbon fiber, and are half as heavy as their metal counterparts while offering equivalent rigidity.
The Arkema Group supports the automotive and transportation industries in meeting the challenge of reducing CO2 emissions.
To contribute to transportation which is increasingly reliable while also respectful of the environment, the Group provides equipment manufacturers and car makers with a complete range of innovative products.
Related products and business unit:
- Rilsan® Polyamides: Transmissions, opening mechanisms and noise dampening, fuel lines and fluid flows (braking, clutch system, cooling) offer a high level of thermal, mechanical and chemical resistance. (Business Unit: Technical Polymers)
- Hot-melt Adhesives: "Smart” high-tech adhesives and glues, and thermoplastic resins (Business Unit: Bostik)
- Heavy mercaptans (TDM, NOM, NDM): Molecular weight regulator required to manufacture various plastics and synthetic rubbers (ABS, PMMA, SBR, SB Latex & etc. (Business Unit: Thiochemicals)
- Luperox® (Organic Peroxides): Luperox® are used for the production of raw materials found in automotive parts such as hoses, belts, gaskets, o-rings and vehicle body panels. (Business Unit: Functional Additives)
- Sartomer: Automotive head lamp, interior coating resin, cable, tubes, PVC & PO compounding co agent, Anti reversion agent for automotive tire.
- Siliporite®: Air filter and brake moisture adsorbent. (Business Unit: Surfactants and additives)
- Dinoram®, Stabiram®: Asphalt Emulsifier, Processing takes place at ambient temperature. (Business Unit: Surfactants and additives)
MLPC International's vulcanizing agents, as powders (Ekaland® & Vultac®) or polymer-bound masterbatches (Mixland+®), are used for the largest part in the rubber industry and its main outlet, the automotive industry. This market segment represents 70% of MLPC International sales, world leader in its field of activity
Coating, paints and inks
At Arkema we provide manufactures with resins that offer the durability and resistance needed to create more sustainable coating, all while minimizing their environmental impact, notably by employing bio-sourced raw materials.
We have four different categories:
- Resins for durable coatings
- Innovative additives and modifiers for formulations
- Monomers and specialty chemicals for fine-tuned coatings
- Solvents to enhance the properties of coatings
Composites and advanced materials
Our materials for outstanding composite matrices
Manufacturers are showing a growing interest in biomaterials, lightweight materials and the recycling of their products. To address these concerns, Arkema has developed suitable resins and polymers that improve the performance of their composites.
- Elium®: The termoplastic resin Elium®, liquid at ambient temperature, is unique on the market and is used to manufacture thermoformable and recyclable thermoplastic composite parts.
They are suitable for traditional processing technologies such as RTM, infusion and FlexMolding™, and therefore allow the production of thermoplastic composites with same equipments than for thermosets.
- Kepstan® PEKK often used to replace metal in extreme conditions (offshore, aviation). Thanks to this high performance polyether ketone ketone, the final composite is endowed with superior resistance to violent impact, high temperatures, and highly aggressive chemical agents. Kepstan® now exists in the form of carbon fiber-reinforced thermoplastic tapes.
- Kynar® UHM™ PVDF thermoplastic resin is used for overmolding or bonding to composite parts. It offers superior mechanical properties, including greater rigidity as well as excellent high temperature and fire resistance. Easy to process, Kynar® PVDF resins feature outstanding UV and chemical resistance.
- Rilsan® PA11 100% biosourced, this high performance polyamide resin, in the form of fine powder or granules, imparts chemical stability, abrasion resistance and impact resistance to composites even at very low temperatures. Rilsan® Matrix grades are used to produce thermoformable and recyclable thermoplastic composites.
Additives for tougher composites
Our innovative additives significantly improve the inherent properties of composite materials.
Luperox® organic peroxides and BlocBuilder® RC50 reactivity controller:
- Luperox® organic peroxides are crosslinking agents for unsaturated polyester resins (including foam) that help speed up processing and ensure better control of continuous or semi-continuous processes to produce harder composite resins.
- BlocBuilder® RC50 reactivity controllers ensure the efficient performance of organic peroxides by controlling gelling and heat curing more effectively.
Chemical, rubber and plastic industry
Leaders in the chemical and plastics industries are seeking sustainable and high-performance solutions to formulate synthetic products for a variety of industrial applications.
At Arkema, we develop intermediate products that are essential for manufacturing processes and for the operation of industrial facilities. Arkema also works to improve operational processes in chemical and petrochemical facilities, in order to stop corrosion and slow down the formation of coke.
Mixland® predispersed additives for the rubber industry. Accelerants, sulfur, retardants, antioxidants.
Luperox®: Organic peroxides are substances containing the peroxide functional group (ROOR'). Arkema produces these peroxides under the trade name Luperox®.
One of the main functions of these substances is as polymerization initiators in the manufacture of various plastics and composite materials.
It is used as a catalyst, crosslinking agent, curing agent or chemical intermediate.
Luperox® peroxides for crosslinking of saturated and unsaturated rubbers.
Glass coating solutions
Solutions for glass coating
Arkema has been a real pioneer in the glass coating market. For the past 40 years, Arkema has developed solutions for glass manufacturers with both hot-end and cold-end coatings, as well as for the beverage industry with coatings for returnable glass bottles.
Coatings for glass manufacturers
Certincoat® and Tegoglas® systems are applied in the bottle manufacturing process.
Certincoat® hot treatment TC100 provides greater resistance to impact and internal pressure.
Tegoglas® cold treatments more lubricity to the surface of the glass preventing scratching.
Coatings for returnable glass bottles
Kercoat® treatment is applied in returnable bottles, avoiding the generation of permanent scratching, also known as "scuffing", giving greater lubricity to the surface of the glass and decreasing the rate of packaging breakage in the filling line. This results in an increase in the life cycle of the bottle.
Opticoat® is a cosmetics system of the bottle, masks scratches on returnable bottles and gives it a new bottle look.