The Bécancour plant began operating in 1986 as Oxychem Canada Inc., and, at that time, was owned by Air Liquide S.A. and Elf Atochem S.A. In 1992 the company was renamed Chemprox Chemical Inc.
In Bécancour, Arkema Canada Inc. operates a world scale hydrogen peroxide plant. The plant operates around the clock, 365 days a year and produces primarily 35%, 50% and 70% hydrogen peroxide solutions.
These products benefit from state-of-the-art technology and are used as a bleaching agent or antiseptic agent in several industries such as pulp and paper, textiles, the food industry, mining, metallurgy and the environmental sector.
- In the food processing industry, it is widely used for disinfecting and cleaning. It is also used as a sterilizing agent for the aseptic filling and packaging of milk and fruit juices.
- Hydrogen peroxide is used for the purification of drinking water.
- In the environmental sector, it is used in the desulphurization and deodorization of wastewaters as well as the decontamination of industrial effluents, soil and water.
- In metallurgy, hydrogen peroxide in combination with sulfuric or hydrofluoric acid is used for stainless steel and aluminum surface finishing.
- In the mining industry, we have already gained entry to the gold mining market.
- Our next target is the fishing and farming industry.
Learn more about our hydrogen peroxide products here.
- Citizen Committee – Although the plant is in an industrial park, we keep in close contact with the community. The Citizen Committee is managed by the citizens, and they set their own agenda. It provides us, along with two other companies in our industrial park, the opportunity to interact with the community so they are aware of our plant activities. They have the opportunity to visit us and ask questions. The Committee holds several meetings per year, which are open to the public.
- Industrial Safety Group – We are one of 15 participating companies that make up Quebec’s mutual community panel. The panel shares industry concerns and works toward best practices for the industry. The purpose of the committee is to group together industrial companies, share experiences and improve safety for all.
- CRAIM – We participate in the CRAIM meetings (Industrial Risks Communication Association) at the provincial level.
- CMMI – We participate in the CMMI meetings (Municipal, Industrial and Community Committee) at the municipal level.
Local associations / events we sponsor
- Member of Chamber of Commerce
- Member of Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC)
- Member of CEOP (Committee for Enterprises and Organizations in Industrial Park)
- Sponsor of United Way®/Centraide
- Internships for students
- Laboratory equipment donations for local schools
- Community College internship program
- Arkema’s Becancour plant is the world's first manufacturer of hydrogen peroxide to be ISO 9002:1994 certified
- The Becancour facility is certified to ISO 9001:2015 (quality) and ISO 14001:2015 (environment) and OSHA 18001:2007 (safety)
- Becancour is also registered in the Responsible Care® program from the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada
- Registered with the FDA for manufacturing food grade hydrogen peroxide.
Responsible Care® is a registered trademark of the Chemcial Industry Association of Canada.
United Way® is a registered trademark of the United Way of America
Last updated: August 2018
SAAQ Conference at Bécancour
As part of continued efforts to promote employee safety and safety in the workplace, employees at Arkema’s Bécancour, Quebec, Canada site participated in a seminar on the effect of driving under the influence. Under the instruction of the SAAQ (Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec or the Quebec Automobile Insurance Corporation), employees learned about the effects of drugs and alcohol, the dangerous behavior they can cause while driving and the importance of planning ahead instead of driving impaired. Employees also tested glasses that simulated impaired vision under the effects of alcohol. The seminar and information provided was greatly appreciated by all participants.
Arkema Canada has been in Ontario since 1957 - first as Pennsalt, then under the Pennwalt banner and finally in our present form as a subsidiary of Arkema S.A.