In its continuing contribution to sustainable development, Arkema has developed Rcycle™, an innovative global service package based on recycling Rilsan® and Pebax® technical polymers, in particular those of renewable origin. Rcycle™ covers the collection and sorting of waste, and its reuse in a range of recycled polymers.
Rcycle™, a recycling program covering a product’s entire lifecycle
Rcycle™ encompasses the entire lifecycle of Rilsan® and Pebax® applications by providing the collection, sorting and reuse of production scraps as well as end-of-life articles through an exclusive global-coverage partnership with the company Agiplast.
The Rcycle™ program targets the Rilsan® and Pebax® polymers used in high added value applications (e.g. electronics, automotive, and sports equipment) and combines optimum environmental impact with economic benefits. The Rcycle™ program will result in the development of a range of recycled products marketed under the tradenames Rilsan® Rcycle™ and Pebax® Rcycle™.
Through Rcycle™, Arkema helps companies manage both their waste and recycled technical polymers. Hence Rcycle™ positions Arkema with these companies as an eco-design partner that can take charge of the waste throughout the lifecycle of their applications and help them reuse this material.
Arkema, a partner in its customers’ eco-design approach
Because eco-design is only meaningful when it includes the environmental impact at every phase of a product’s development, Arkema stands out as a unique partner through:
- its unparalleled range of Arkema «Renewables» bio-sourced polymers, which help reduce both the environmental impact and the use of fossil resources and Arkema’s 60 years of expertise in plant-based chemistry:
- Rilsan® PA11: polyamide 11, flexible or rigid, with up to 100% renewable content and CO2 emissions 40% below those of polyamide 12,
- Pebax® Rnew: a thermoplastic elastomer, with 20 to 95% renewable content,
- Rilsan® Clear Rnew: a transparent polyamide, with up to 50% renewable content,
- Rilsan® HT: a high temperature polyamide, with up to 70% renewable content.
- the high performance and low density of these polymers :
- extend the lifetime of applications,
- reduce the weight of applications: typically 20% lower density than competitive plastics and up to 2 to 8 times lower density than steel or aluminum (Rilsan® resins are often used to replace these metals),
- reduce consumption and pollution (e.g. in automotive fuel lines where they offer light weight and excellent permeation resistance).
- its industrial practices: Arkema is resolutely committed to improving safety and the protection of health and the environment, in particular through the Responsible Care® program.
This global recycling service package further consolidates Arkema’s position as an eco-responsible company meeting the challenges of sustainable development.
With global brands like Rilsan® and Pebax®, unique products from renewable resources like Rilsan® Polyamide 11, Rilsan® HT, Pebax® Rnew and Platamid® Rnew, and leading capacities in Rilsan® Polyamide 11 and 12, Arkema’s Technical Polymers activity stands out in the industry by providing its customers with global coverage and superior regional service from production facilities and research centers in Europe, Asia, and the USA.
Arkema has more than 30 years of experience and innovation serving the automotive industry, offering a wide range of advanced materials designed to match current and future specifications. Arkema’s Technical Polymers business is the acknowledged leader in bio-based high performance polyamides such as world-renowned Rilsan® polyamide 11 and Rilsan® HT, a new PPA-based high temperature polyphtalamide launched recently.
A global chemical company and France’s leading chemicals producer, Arkema consists of three businesses: Vinyl Products, Industrial Chemicals, and Performance Products. Arkema reports sales of 5.6 billion euros. Arkema has 15,000 employees in over 40 countries and six research centers located in France, the United States and Japan. With internationally recognized brands, Arkema holds leadership positions in its principal markets.