Electronics and electric cables
Already extensively present in the cables market, the Arkema Group is mobilizing its innovation resources to provide solutions for the electronics market. This sector is now facing the technological limits of silicon-based components.
Moving to silicon-free, organic electronics
The Arkema Group has committed itself to the electronics of the future through two major research programs conducted in collaboration with the CEA (French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission):
- As a result of the continuing miniaturization of silicon chips, microelectronics based on optical lithography – the engraving technology for microprocessors – is facing the physical limits of silicon as a material. To move beyond these constraints related to the world of the infinitesimally small, the Arkema Group is developing technology for polymer self-assembled (or nanostructured) lithography. This highly promising alternative requires low production costs and is easily integrated into existing manufacturing processes for microprocessors.
- Thanks to its wide range of technical polymers (fluorinated, piezoelectric, thermoplastic and nanostructured), the Arkema Group is dedicating significant resources to large area printed electronics(flexible screens, smart packaging and textiles, photovoltaic panels).
The aims of this initiative are to: extend system lifespans, optimize production costs and integrate several functions on the same support.
The use of these organic materials, rather than silicon, makes it possible to design a whole new field of printable, transparent and flexible components.
Market outlets for high-performance materials
Focus on... Foldable screens, with Sartomer
When a giant South Korean electronics company recently presented an ultrathin TV screen that can be rolled up like a tapestry, our researchers definitely took notice. The totally flexible screen, pliable as a sheet of paper, is based on a cutting-edge technology that Sartomer is working on.
Electronics has always been a major application for our resins, which are used in television screens, tablets and smartphones to enhance definition and brightness. The challenge is to adapt to each new generation of products in a fast-growing market.
Arkema’s fluorination expertise for electronics
As a leading fluorine specialist, Arkema provides fluoro-specialties development and production to key partners where fluorine makes a difference. The Foranext® range leverages our fluorination expertise to create fluorogases used in a variety of electronic and semiconductor applications from plasma etching to chamber cleaning and more.
A multi-product offer for electric cables
Today cable manufacturers are faced with new safety requirements (fire resistance), solidity (stability) and longevity (mechanical resistance). The products of the Arkema Group provide a suitable response, and are used in the manufacturing of low, medium, high and very high voltage cables. These products are:
- Evatane®, Lotryl®, Orevac® or Lotader® functional polyolefines: Combined with Luperox® organic peroxides, they provide solutions in compliance with the new standards
- Kynar® and Kynar Flex® polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) resins: Due to their exceptional chemical and mechanical resistance, they are particularly suited to meeting stringent requirements such as those for security and fire alarm cables
- Rilsan® polyamide resins: As some of the rare materials able to resist termite attack, these resins are often specified by professionals working with subterranean cables.