A CSR strategy driven by the ambition to be among the best
The Arkema group’s aim is to become one of the most successful players in the chemical industry in terms of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). This is an integral part of its strategy and activities, and creates value for both society at large and the firm itself.
The Arkema group is convinced that its approach to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) creates value for:
- Society at large: the Arkema group provides innovative solutions to meet the great challenges of the modern world. It constantly reduces the risks related to its activities, optimizes its consumption of non-renewable resources and exercises unceasing vigilance for the protection of the environment.
- the Arkema group itself: the trust which is established with its stakeholders (shareholders, neighboring, associations, residents and also employees, customers and suppliers) and new growing markets, resulting from sustainable development, present a number of growth opportunities.
Corporate values fundamental to CSR
The Group’s CSR policy is based on ethics and on the following core values shared by all within the firm:
The Arkema group's CSR vision is founded on five areas which reflect the fundamental concerns and activities of the Group:
- Be a top quartile performer in safety in the chemical industry, whether industrial safety or product stewardship,
- Reduce the environmental footprint of its activities, by reducing its air emissions (including discharges of greenhouse gases), its water emissions, by optimizing the consumption of natural resources, and by increasing the use of renewable raw materials,
- Place sustainable development solutions at the heart of its innovation policy and its product offering to provide new solutions capable of meeting the challenges of our world,
- Encourage openness and dialogue with all its stakeholders (neighboring residents, associations, suppliers, customers, etc.) by always listening to their needs and concerns, and by explaining the Group’s activities through concrete initiatives,
- Promote the individual and collective development of the Group's men and women.
CSR players and governance
Since April, 2nd 2012, a Sustainable Development Division has reported directly to the Group Industry Vice President, a member of Arkema Group’s Executive Committee (‘Comex’).
Moreover, a CSR steering committee chaired by the Industry Vice President, and which includes the Human Resources and Communication Vice President as well as various functional directors, is charged with overseeing actions conducted as part of the Group’s CSR policy as well as setting out proposed CSR action plans.
Arkema Group’s CSR vision, the proposed actions and those already implemented, the main indicators and the 2020 targets in terms of safety and environment are defined and validated in the course of Comex meetings.
The Group’s CSR organization and ambition and the procedures in place to ensure the Group’s compliance with the regulatory requirements of extra-financial reporting were presented to the Audit and Accounts Committee.
All 2013 indicators featured in the reference document were subject to moderate assurance provided by an Independent Third Party Body.
The Arkema group is committed to the Responsible Care® program
From the very outset of its existence, the Group concretely applied its corporate vision by becoming a member of the Responsible Care® program. This program reflects the proactive commitment of the world’s industrial chemical firms to improve safety and the protection of health and the environment, especially through effective product stewardship.
This initiative was launched under the auspices of the International Council of Chemical Associations (ICCA). This organization has a charter – the Responsible Care® Global Charter, which the Group signed in 2006.