Transportation: meeting the requirements of a rapidly changing market
The Arkema group supports the automotive and transportation industries in meeting the challenge of reducing CO2, emissions. To contribute to transportation which is increasingly reliable and respectful of the environment, the Group provides equipment manufacturers and car makers with a complete range of innovative products.
The Arkema group supports the automotive and transportation players to help them respond to the constant changes in this market. It designs innovative solutions for them and with them which enable the market players to lower their production costs and lighten the weight of vehicles. The parts based on its solutions must comply with increasingly stringent requirements in terms of safety, fuel economy and vehicle life cycle management.
As a long-standing partner to the aerospace sector, Arkema develops high performance products specifically designed for airplanes, helicopters, etc.
To meet the needs and standards of aircraft manufacturers for cutting down on fuel consumption and building sturdier, lighter, more comfortable and more secure aircraft, Arkema provides the right solutions with its extensive product range comprising:
Innovative glues on board
A partner to the aerospace sector for over 60 years, Bostik (which joined the Arkema Group in early 2015) develops a large number of high-tech bonding solutions specifically for aerospace, which are invisible to passengers but vital for their safety and comfort.
They include, for example, the bonding of interior panels and laminates helping make trims and fittings lighter, and flame-retardant protective glues that slow the spread of flames in the event of a fire.
The products and materials of the Arkema group provide customized solutions for a variety of automotive applications:
- Specialty polyamides: PA 10 (Hiprolon®, Rilsan® T, Rilsan® S & Rilsan® alloys), PA 11 (Rilsan®and Rilsan® Fine Powders) and PA 12 (Rilsamid®) are used to manufacture technical parts for both cars and trucks, and offer a high level of thermal, mechanical and chemical resistance. They are used for transmission, opening mechanisms and noise dampening, fuel lines and fluid flows (braking, clutch system, cooling).
- Platamid® copolyamide hot melt adhesives are used for durable adhesion of automotive interior laminates and textiles.
- Forane® refrigerants are used for the operation of automotive air conditioning systems.
- Luperox® organic peroxides are used for the production of raw materials found in automotive parts such as hoses, belts, gaskets, o-rings and vehicle body panels.
- PMMA, which is lighter than glass, is extensively used for automotive tail lights.
Rilsan® HT: “plants” under the hood!
Rilsan® HT is the first flexible, high-temperature thermoplastic capable of replacing metal and rubber in automotive applications. This high performance polyphtalamide contains up to 70% renewable carbon. Six times lighter than steel and three times lighter than aluminium, it contributes to lightweighting of vehicles and reducing fuel consumption. In this way, Rilsan® HT responds to the needs of industrial companies seeking cost-effective and sustainable solutions.