Specialty Adhesives (Bostik)
Bostik, the world’s n° 3 in industrial adhesives, is Arkema’s largest acquisition, completed in February 2015. This new Arkema business contributes to the Group’s ambition to become world leader in specialty chemicals.
A global player
Bostik’s products fulfil global demand for adhesives and sealants in three sectors:
Bostik develops adhesive technologies and high added value bonding solutions in five areas:
- nonwovens for hygiene and personal care products: adhesives in babies diapers, feminine care products, etc.
- flexible packaging and industrial lamination,
- rigid packaging
- bonding in transportation applications,
- self-adhesive applications (labels, tapes).
Bostik assists construction professionals in their development or renovation projects with a wide range of solutions for:
- primers for floors (treatment of cracks, moisture barrier, screeds, etc.),
- adhesives and finishing products for soft floor coverings, tiles and parquet flooring,
- primers for walls, wallpaper and wall covering adhesives,
- airtight and watertight sealants for buildings.
Bostik is a major player in today’s retail world, and markets its glues in DIY and home improvement supermarkets and retail outlets under strong local brands (Sader®, Quelyd®, Evo-Stik®, Fortaleza®). Its solutions are used to: bond everyday objects, fit out and decorate interiors, renovate floors and wall, etc.
Innovation and the environement at the heart of its business
Innovation and the protection health and the environment lie at the heart of Bostik’s development, as the Company focuses in particular on:
- renewable energies, by meeting the specific bonding and sealing requirements of manufacturers and installers of solar and wind power equipment,
- the manufacture of products that are less harmful and more environmentally sound (e.g. solvent-free adhesives and low volatile organic compound adhesives).
Bostik boasts three cutting-edge technologies which secure the Company’s leading positions and generate 60% of its sales:
- Elastic Bonding: this component is used in materials for the transport, construction and assembly industries to provide high resistance to impact and to thermal variation.
- Polymer-Modified Binders (hydraulic binders) impart high adhesive power and crack resistance for construction applications (tiles, joints, insulating and sealing materials). They are used in external insulation systems to deliver greater energy efficiency in buildings.
- PSA Hotmelt adhesives are present in particular in babies diapers, transparent labels, and aerospace components. These solvent-free adhesives are environmentally sound and ensure adhesion onto uneven surfaces.
Bostik allocates 2.7% of its sales to research. The Company runs three R&D centers (France, China, United States), as well as eleven application technical centers. Over 400 researchers in total work on new generation adhesives.
Main products and brands
- 45 production sites around the world
- A commercial presence in 50 countries
- 3 R&D centers: Europe (France), North America (United States), Asia (China)