The creation and growth of the Arkema group
The Arkema group was created in October 2004, following the reorganization of Total’s Chemicals branch. Thanks to innovation, targeted acquisitions and investments in emerging countries, it has become a recognized world player in the field of specialty chemicals.
October: New settlement of Arkema in Brazil where the Group acquired from Resicryl a production plant of acrylic emulsions and additives.
September: The Group reveals its new visual identity and a new base line "innovative chemistry" which reasserts its focus on specialty chemicals and innovation.
July: Arkema finalizes the sale of its vinyl products activity to the Klesh group.
With this divestment, the Arkema group completes its strategic shift and repositions itself in the field of specialty chemicals.
February : Arkema finalizes the acquisition of Chinese companies Casda Biomaterials, global leading producer of sebacic acid, and Hipro Polymers, specialized in specialty polyamides 10.
January: Arkema acquires Seppic’s specialty alkoxylates business.
- November 21: Arkema acquires the Chinese companies HiPro Polymers et Casda Biomaterials, which are specialized in the production of biosourced polyamid 10 and its plant-based raw material – sebacic acid.This acquisition strengthens Arkema’s position in China, one of its geographical priorities over the last five years. The polyamid 10 product extends its range of high added value polyamids 11 and 12, and reflects Arkema’s growth.
- October 12: First stone laid for the Group’s future R&D center in Changshu (China). This will be the second center in Asia, after Japan.
This confirms Arkema’s ambitious plans for strong growth in Asia, where it aims to generate 25% of its revenue by 2015, of which half is to be in China.
- October 11: First production run of a new facility for the production of Coatex rheology additives in Changshu (China).
- July 1: Arkema completes the acquisition of Total’s specialty resins (Cray Valley, Cook Composites & Polymers and Sartomer).
- June 20: Arkema enters the CAC 60 Paris stock market index
- April 13: First production run of a new facility for fluoropolymers in Changshu (China)
- April 11: Arkema announces the construction of a world-size industrial platform for thiochemicals and the production of methionine in Kerteh (Malaysia), in partnership with the South Korean firm CJ CheilJedang
- November: Arkema successfully completes its first REACH registration phase.
- September: Arkema is awarded the Pierre Potier prize for Kynar Aquatec®.
- January: Arkema completes the acquisition of specific acrylic assets from Dow in North America.
- September: Arkema builds carbon nanotubes pilot plant at Mont (France).
- August: Acquisition by Arkema of certain acrylates and latex assets from Dow in North America.
- July: The Group invest in specialty acrylic polymers production through its subssidiary Coatex.
- April: Initial share capital increase operation reserved for Arkema personnel is a success.
- June 5: First Arkema General Shareholders Meeting.
- October: Arkema completes the acquisition of Coatex.
- May 18: Arkema’s IPO on the Paris stock market (Segment A of Eurolist by EuronextTM).
- October 1: Creation of Arkema.